We may earn a commission if you make a purchase from the links on this page.
Samsung is already hard at work on the third edition of the Galaxy Z Fold and Flip foldable phone series, to be released some time in the summer months, likely at an August event. The OG Flip pioneered the use of Ultra Thin Glass (UTG) cover for the bendable display while the OG Fold was still stuck at a polyimide (read: plastic) cover that first users peeled off thinking that it’s a screen protector.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 and Flip 3 display specs
Z Fold 3 screen features
- First foldable display with an under panel camera.
- The first foldable display with UTG to have S Pen input.
- The first foldable display that replaces the circular polarizer with a color filter to reduce thickness, increase brightness and lower power.
- The display film stack on the Z Fold 3 is much thicker now because of the S Pen digitizer
- There is a rugged protection layer under the UTG cover like the one added to the Z Flip 5G.
- Another, carbon-reinforced polymer layer, is added under the panel for improved durability.
Z Flip 3 screen features
- Corning will share the ultra-thin glass (UTG) business on the Z Flip 3 with incumbent supplier SCHOTT
- Corning’s UTG will be processed by Korean supplier eCONY
Foldable phones’ shipment forecast for 2019-2021
Galaxy Z Flip 3 pricing
The reason for moving from the Schott/DoInsys foldable phone cover glass duopoly for Samsung Electronics is, according to The Elec, cost. Apparently, Samsung Display that laminated the UTG cover to its own bendy OLED panels with plastic substrates, delivered a product that is too expensive.
Samsung, however, tried a laser-cutting method that is superior to what DoInsys offers, and now Corning’s UTG supplies will be produced with this technology, perfecting yield, and lowering the prices further.