(Pocket-lint) – Google’s wireless network can now be activated on an iPhone via eSIM. In other words, without needing a SIM card mailed to you or purchased at a retail store, you can now use a Google Fi number on your iPhone in addition to the phone number connected to the SIM card in your iPhone.
However, there are a couple of caveats to the new feature. Here’s everything you need to know, including how to get started with activation.
How to set up Fi on iPhone using eSIM
Google has a support page here fully detailing how to activate Google Fi on an iPhone using eSIM, but here’s a quick summary:
- Sign up for Google Fi on the Google Fi website.
- Select your iPhone from a list of models.
- If you select “Latest models,” you can opt in to “Quick setup” to activate Fi.
- You’ll be asked to opt in to eSIM activation on the Fi website.
- Download the Google Fi iOS app.
- The Google Fi iOS app will perform device and iOS compatibility checks.
- If both are compatible, select Get started to begin eSIM activation.
- If incompatible, you’ll be asked to order a physical SIM or to upgrade your iOS.
- Visit this page on a device that’s not your iPhone, like your laptop.
- Sign in to your account and follow the on-screen instructions to complete set up.
- You’ll need to scan the QR code with the iPhone you want to activate Google Fi.
Which iPhone models are supported?
Activation over eSIM is only supported by iPhones with Dual SIM functionality:
- iPhones SE (2020 version)
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone 11 series
- iPhone 12 series
How much is Google Fi?
Google offers three types of plans for Google Fi:
- Google Fi Flexible: A flexible plan with a lower base monthly rate for unlimited calls and texts, but you must pay an additional $10 for every gigabyte of data you use per month. This plan starts at $20 a month for one person.
- Google Fi Unlimited: An unlimited plan with a consistent monthly fee that lets you use unlimited data (with some restrictions) plus unlimited calls and texts. This plan starts at $60 a month for one person.
- Google Fi Unlimited Plus: Same as the Unlimited plan, but adds in the ability to work in over 200 destinations outside the US, Canada, and Mexico. This plan starts at $70 a month for one person.
Want to know more?
Check out the Google Fi support hub and our own guide to eSIM tech.
Writing by Maggie Tillman.