India

No transaction with NSO group: Defence ministry’s response in Parliament amid Pegasus row | India News

NEW DELHI: The ministry of defence on Monday said that it has had no transaction with the NSO group, the Israeli firm that is at the centre of alleged snooping controversy involving the Pegasus spyware.
The ministry said this in a written response in the Rajya Sabha.
This is the first time the government has responded to pointed questions over the Pegasus snooping row.
The opposition had mounted a scathing attack on the government during the ongoing monsoon session of Parliament, asking it to have a full-fledged debate on the issue.
A massive controversy had erupted last month over allegations of government surveillance targeting various prominent individuals in the country using the Israeli software.
An international media consortium had reported that over 300 verified Indian mobile phone numbers were on a list of potential targets for surveillance using Israeli firm NSO’s Pegasus spyware.
Opposition leaders including Rahul Gandhi, two union ministers — Prahlad Singh Patel and Railways and IT Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw — businessman Anil Ambani, a former CBI chief, and at least 40 journalists are on the list on the leaked database of NSO. It is, however, not established that all the phones were hacked.




Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button